There are many things that feed my soul, and when December rolls around, two rise to the top of that list: yoga and giving. For me, the powerful and positive energy I feel at this time of year is fueled by the collective and widespread intention of so many people all around the world on the same thing: giving.
I often dedicate my December yoga practice to simply noticing this yearly phenomenon and imprinting it in my heart. I know that, for myself, living each day in the spirit of giving can bring both my world and the world at large closer to embodying this powerful goodness all year long.
That being said, there is also a practical side to my December (and perhaps yours as well): gift giving. One day last week, I realized that the days were flying by and I had not yet even started my holiday shopping. I got into a bit of a panic and, truth be told, found myself trying to organize my shopping list in the middle of my vinyasa class (hey, no one’s perfect!). On my way past the front desk after class, I had an oh-mmmmmm moment.
I was surrounded by beautiful and thoughtful presents that I could choose right then and there. I could use my purchasing power to support Coolidge Corner Yoga, the environment, and beautiful people and companies all at the same time.
So here is my Top Ten list of things you can find at CCY for your holiday giving. (Also, don’t forget to take class as a gift to yourself while you’re at it!)
10. Handmade cards: How often do you wish you had a last-minute birthday card or thank you note on hand? This is why I like to purchase 5 to 10 cards to make a “card bouquet” and wrap it in a pretty box. It’s an unusual and thoughtful gift that keeps on giving throughout the year when the recipient finds themself in a moment that calls for a thoughtful card to give. I recommend the beautifully designed cards by Stellie Stationery.
9. Handmade mala beads and bracelets: Pass on your love and positive energy in a way that a loved one can wear on a day-to-day basis. Ask someone on the CCY staff about our ever-evolving collection from Color and Karma.
8. Lotus Love bath salts and beauty bars: Totally natural and wonderfully aromatic, these luxurious products are the gift that says “take care of you!”
7. Yoga mat straps and carry bags: Have a friend or family member who has to re-roll their mat every time they head out for class? CCY carries yoga mat straps and slings by Manduka, and carry bags in a variety of patterns and colors from Hugger Mugger that's both practical and fun!
6. Lotus Love essential oils: Ever hug a friend at CCY and wonder why they smell so good? Chances are they are wearing one of these aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots and flowers of plants. The scent of Lotus Love essential oils are long-lasting and natural! Even better, many find they have healing and energizing qualities.
5. Cozy yoga clothes: Always a favorite for men and women, you can choose an outfit or cover-up or a gift card so your recipient can choose their own duds! CCY offers the best quality materials and companies to choose from, including Hardtail, Manduka, and more!
4. A yoga mat: Yoga mats are a very personal thing. We all have our favorite brand and type of yoga mat, and CCY offers a variety to choose from. If you are not sure what your recipient will like, purchase a gift card in the amount of the yoga mat and allow them choose their own!
3. Sale items: Check out our Bargain Box for high-quality yoga clothes that need a home for the holidays!
2. Lotus Love jar candle: For me, there is nothing more decadent than a beautiful, aromatic, naturally scented candle. It’s one of those things I rarely buy for myself; maybe you have a loved one who’s the same. So, while you’re at it, pick up one for yourself, too, and de-stress after a busy day of holiday cheer!
1. Yoga classes!: You can choose between a 5- or 10-class pack or purchase a gift card for CCY’s 30 Days for $30 new student special. And, if it’s in your budget, you can even purchase an entire year of yoga at a discounted price. This is the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving some more.
Wishing you and yours peace, love, and yoga this holiday season and every season!