Guest blogger Elizabeth Heller is here to walk you through thoughtful, sustainable gift-giving this holiday season!
There are many things that feed my soul, and when December rolls around, two rise to the top of that list: yoga and giving. For me, the powerful and positive energy I feel at this time of year is fueled by the collective and widespread intention of so many people all around the world on the same thing: giving.
I often dedicate my December yoga practice to simply noticing this yearly phenomenon and imprinting it in my heart. I know that, for myself, living each day in the spirit of giving can bring both my world and the world at large closer to embodying this powerful goodness all year long.
That being said, there is also a practical side to my December (and perhaps yours as well): gift giving. One day last week, I realized that the days were flying by and I had not yet even started my holiday shopping. I got into a bit of a panic and, truth be told, found myself trying to organize my shopping list in the middle of my vinyasa class (hey, no one’s perfect!). On my way past the front desk after class, I had an oh-mmmmmm moment.
I was surrounded by beautiful and thoughtful presents that I could choose right then and there. I could use my purchasing power to support Coolidge Corner Yoga, the environment, and beautiful people and companies all at the same time.
So here is my Top Ten list of things you can find at CCY for your holiday giving. (Also, don’t forget to take class as a gift to yourself while you’re at it!)
10. Handmade cards: How often do you wish you had a last-minute birthday card or thank you note on hand? Purchase a few or more to make a “card bouquet” and wrap it in a pretty box. It’s an unusual and thoughtful gift that keeps on giving throughout the year. We recommend the beautifully designed cards by Stellie Stationery.
9. Handmade mala beads and bracelets: Pass on your love and positive energy in a way that a loved one can wear on a day-to-day basis. Ask someone on the CCY staff about our ever-evolving collection from Color and Karma.
8. Lotus Love Beauty products: Totally natural and wonderfully aromatic, these luxurious products are the gift that says “take care of you”! From bath salts to rich body oils, there's plenty to love, especially since a portion of the proceeds from every Lotus Love Beauty sale benefits The Shanti Project. As a holiday special, CCY is now carrying Lotus Love gift boxes; expect minis of some of your favorite products and some new arrivals!
7. Yoga mat straps and carry bags: Have a friend or family member who has to re-roll their mat every time they head out for class? CCY carries yoga mat straps and slings by Manduka, and carry bags in a variety of patterns and colors from Hugger Mugger that's both practical and fun!
6. Baby and tot tees: CCY has something for even the smallest people on your gift list! Check out onesies, tees, and beanies from Soul Flower to keep your favorite little yogi comfy and cozy in organic, eco-friendly threads!
5. Cozy yoga clothes: Always a favorite for men and women, you can choose an outfit or cover-up or a gift card so your recipient can choose their own duds. CCY offers the best quality materials and companies to choose from, including Hardtail, Manduka, and more! Right now, our personal favorites are the ultra-cozy leg-warmers from Hyde, the perfect fusion of practical and luxe!
4. Mats and more: Perfect for the yoga enthusiast in your life or a brand new practitioner; give the gift of a mat to set a solid foundation for practice or take a look at our collection of yoga props, from blocks to bolsters, by studio favorite Manduka.
3. Paint Your Practice coloring book: What better way to inspire the artist inside than with a coloring book by Izzy Van Hall? Izzy's illustrations bring yoga asanas to life while giving the lucky recipient room to explore color, connection, and direction.
2. Lotus Love jar candle: There's nothing more decadent than a beautiful, aromatic candle, especially one that's poured with soy wax naturally scented with essential oils candle. Choose from one of three inspired scents.
1. Yoga classes: Give the gift the keeps on giving! Choose a 5-class card, 10-class card or purchase a gift card for CCY’s 30 Days for $30 new student special for brand new yogis! Gift certificates are available in any denomination, from a few dollars to get them started, to an entire year of yoga!
Wishing you and yours peace, love, and yoga this holiday season and every season!